This is a list compiled by our high school senior year English teacher, he was a thoughtful introvert who stuck to his guns about many values. My classmates always muttered he was a better person than a teacher, I still don’t quite understand what they mean. His class is probably why I graduated with a major in English.
I read this list whenever I need some wise reminders. I hope this inspires you, too.
Important Announcements for the Class of 2013:
- Life is a gift.
- No one said it would be easy. Don’t make big decisions because of fear.
- Trust is faith’s very muscular brother. Trust is a sign of strength, not weakness.
- Miracles are everywhere—look for them.
- Think about heaven. Think about eternity. Think about souls. Think about poetry.
- Avoid… Airborne electricity. Fame. Pride. Gossip. Bitterness. Makeup.
- You do not need to fill every hole; many of them are beautiful valleys.
- The audience is bigger than you know. Imagine your life as a movie.
- Racism is green snow trying to kill purple ice. Consider ugliness as a problem with your eyesight.
- Love is not math.
- Facebook is neutral; YOU are amazing.
- The best cure for depression is focusing on other people’s needs.
- Practice being satisfied with THIS.
- Color is Evidence. Music is Proof. Eyes are Windows. Hands are Doors.
- Those who seek will find. Those who do not seek will find something else.
- Prepare yourself for intense criticism from people who love to point out what is missing in you.
- Stop being so critical about things that don’t matter very much.
- Competition is relative, not definitive.
- A new rule for yourself: don’t sit at the same table with the same people all the time.
- Also, be comfortable enough to sit by yourself.
- Read more than you watch, and practice holding back some of your thoughts.
- Secretly give some money away to people who need it more than you.
- Smile at fools and don’t let them get your goat. invest in wise friends and give them your goat.